[Reviews - 3] Printer
Table of Contents
- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Written for VAMB's Secret Drabble Exchange in spring 2011 for Shanadesai who also provided the first sentence.

 

A big thank you to Lise for doing the beta on that one. Thanks a bunch hon!

Welcome To My Life

 

Rating: PG 13

Pairing: J/C, P

 

He just couldn't believe it.

He was a father.

Peering down at the small bundle nestled in his arms, another joyous grin broke across Tom's features.

B'Elanna was resting and so he had decided to take his new daughter for a stroll through Voyager's corridors.

His precious baby girl had entered the world mere hours ago and he hadn't stopped smiling ever since. Tom already knew that for the rest of his life every time he looked at or thought of his daughter, she would bring joy to his heart.

It was an astounding feeling.

Tucking her closer to his chest, he rounded another corner only to notice how unusually quiet the ship was. He thought his crewmates would still be celebrating their unexpected homecoming but the corridors were almost deserted; the parties long over. Everyone was now eagerly awaiting the morning when they would disembark onto Earth's soil.

He didn't bother calling for lights when he entered the Mess hall; he knew every inch of the ship by heart. It had been his home for seven years and he could navigate it blindfolded; thus with the familiar stars of the Alpha Quadrant illuminating the room, he found his way to one of the armchairs by the viewport.

He sat down amongst the soft cushions and spent a few moments marveling at the shining blue orb of home before his gaze was involuntarily drawn to the sleeping infant in his arms again. As he took in her sweet face, her tiny lips and nose, the small ridges on her forehead, her perfect fingers and soft skin; he couldn't help thinking that she was the most beautiful child that he had ever seen. He was more than content to simply stare at her and as he committed her beloved features to memory, the world faded around him.

Contentment washed over him and he began to doze off.

Suddenly he was jerked awake by the sound of a low, feminine chuckle though and startled, he froze, not wanting to wake the sleeping infant in his arms. He slowly turned, only to find his captain leaning over the dimly lit kitchen counter quietly talking to a person in the shadows. Just as he was about to make his presence known, he froze once more when her companion came into view.

Chakotay's rich voice floated through the otherwise deserted room as he handed her a small cup. "Here you are, Kathryn; one espresso made with real coffee beans from Earth."

From where he was sitting, Tom wasn't able to make out Janeway's expression when she held the cup close to her face, but he could imagine her look of utter bliss.

From the gentle smile that appeared on Chakotay's face, Tom was certain he was right.

"Oh God, this is good," Janeway moaned after she'd taken a sip, and Tom had to suppress a chuckle. No one he knew was more turned on by coffee than his captain. He had a feeling that for Janeway a good cup of strong coffee was better than sex - well almost.

"Want some too, Chakotay?" Her voice was even huskier than usual as she leaned further over the kitchen counter, her feet almost dangling off the floor.

"Are you sure you want to share?" Chakotay answered slowly, leaning over the counter too, tantalizingly close to the woman in front of him.

"Oh yes, Commander, very sure..." the rest of the sentence was cut short as Chakotay's lips found hers in deep kiss.

Tom sat motionless in his seat. He hadn't seen that one coming; not after all these years of cat and mouse, and especially since - if rumor had it - the mouse had found other cheese to play with a few weeks ago.

With muted sighs, his commanding officers broke apart but their faces hovered close to each other.

"Well, you're right," Chakotay said, slowly running his tongue over his lips. "This is something I could get used to; something I could get addicted to actually." Leaning forward he kissed her again, this time gently cradling her face in his hands.

"I love you," Janeway murmured when they pulled back a second time, her voice deep and husky, and just loud enough for Tom to hear.

Where only seconds before Tom had been ecstatic after witnessing this long-awaited exchange between his commanding officers, he now felt like an intruder. It wasn't his place to be here and this wasn't for him to see. All of a sudden he was only too aware of his surroundings and the sleeping infant in his arms. How long had he been sleeping? What if Miral suddenly awoke, demanding nourishment? How would he explain to his commanding officers that he, of all people, had witnessed this private exchange?

Some god or other higher being must have taken pity on him though and he watched with relief as the command team decided to move to a more private area. Stepping around the kitchen counter Chakotay slung his arm around the captain's waist, pulling her close to him before they slowly made their way to the Mess hall doors.

Tom was about to heave a sigh of relief but they stopped one last time before they came into the range of the door's sensors. Chakotay leaned down to Janeway, whispering something into her ear. All of a sudden they both turned back towards him and looked him straight in the eye.

Before Tom had a change to react though, a small smile lit Janeway's face and she raised a hand in silent greeting. Chakotay nodded and smiled before they both turned again and silently disappeared through the Mess hall doors.

A wide grin spread across Tom's face and couldn't help chuckling as he looked down into the suddenly wide awake eyes of his daughter.

He just couldn't believe it.

They were home.

 

The End

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.