Author's Chapter Notes:

A/N 1: This is an A/U fic. In this universe, Kathryn and Chakotay developed and nurtured a romantic relationship while stranded on New Earth. The idea for the premise was sparked by the song So in Love, which was originally composed by Cole Porter for the score of the MGM musical Kiss Me, Kate. Inspiration for this story was the variation performed years later by K.D. Lang.

 

Time and Circumstance

 

Strange, dear, but true dear,

When I'm close to you, dear,

The stars fill the sky,

So in love with you am I.

 

Kathryn closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose as she leaned back in the luxurious whirlpool bath. Thank goodness this trip was almost over. After three weeks of Starfleet's dog and pony show she was ready for a proper leave. This week's publicity stint landed her on the fringes of the Gamma quadrant, but at least this hotel had a large sunken tub she could enjoy. She groaned and stretched in pleasure as she relaxed in front of a series of jets, allowing the rush of water to pulsate against her lower back, massaging away the stress of the last three weeks.

"That good huh?" A male voice asked with a light knock against the doorframe.

Kathryn turned her head toward the doorway. "It's customary to knock before opening the door, you know?" She furrowed her brow momentarily. "How did you get in?"

"Strictly a Maquis maneuver." Chakotay smirked as he pushed away from the door frame. "Besides, I used to sit outside with you during your baths on New Earth."

"Well since you're here, you might as well make yourself useful." Kathryn tossed a sponge in his direction, before leaning forward to hug her knees."

After a few minutes of comfortable silence Kathryn spoke. "I wonder if my tomatoes survived all these years."

"If the monkey didn't destroy them the minute we left." Chakotay dipped the sponge into the soapy water and squeezed the excess water across Kathryn's bare back.

"I swear there was intelligence in him, Chakotay."

"So you say."

"What is it with you and that monkey? What did he ever do to you?" Kathryn asked as she turned her head in his direction.

"I think you know the answer to that question. He was about as bad as Tuvok."

Kathryn chuckled. "He did seem to pop up at the most inopportune moments."

"I seem to remember you having your own little run in with our primate friend." Chakotay smiled a dimpled grin at her blush. "Something to do with a missing dress I believe?"

Kathryn raised an eyebrow in his direction. "I don't know what you could possibly be referring to."

"These..." He touched a soapy finger to her cheek. "...say otherwise." Chakotay smiled again. "For shame, Captain Janeway. Skinny dipping? I never would've guessed. Now there's a story for FNN."

"I was not the captain at the time." Kathryn flicked the water from her fingers in his direction. "All right you.  Out. So I can get out of the tub."

Chakotay handed the sponge back to her and leaned against the doorway. "Go ahead, won't bother me."

"I bet!" Kathryn tossed the sponged back in his direction. "Go!" she laughed as the sponge landed in middle of his chest.

 


 

Kathryn sighed as she eyed the closet before her. The informal meet and greet was done. All that remained of this trip was the formal state dinner and the farewell breakfast tomorrow.  As the dinner was considered a black tie event, her uniform was not an option, nor was the white paint suit she'd packed. That left two dresses to choose from, a deep emerald green ball gown or the black strapless, floor length dress. 

"Go with the black one."

Kathryn turned as Chakotay entered her room wearing his dress pants and shirt.

"Would you mind?" He motioned toward the bow tie hanging limply under the collar of his shirt.

"You know, I'm starting to believe an adjoined VIP suite wasn't such a good idea. Don't you knock at all anymore?" She said as she folded his tie into the appropriate shape.

"Why should I?" His hands settled on her waist, as he leaned down to whisper in her ear. "You don't."

"That was one time and completely by mistake, may I remind you." She couldn't suppress the slight shiver that ran up her spine when he spoke with that timbre.

"Too bad." He leaned back and out of her personal space.

Kathryn rolled her eyes as she stepped toward the closet. "If I didn't know better, I'd think you were flirting with me, Chakotay." She grabbed the black dress, before slipping behind the changing screen in the corner of the room.

***

Chakotay sighed quietly as he watched Kathryn disappear behind the partition. The screen did little except to skew the view of the occupant; the outline of her body was painfully obvious. He watched as she removed and tossed her robe over the top of the screen.  He groaned inwardly as her silhouette bent at the waist, her hands slowly slid up either side her left leg, and then her right in the same manner. 

With herculean effort, Chakotay turned to the side so he wouldn't be tempted to watch her further. His fists clenched at his sides and he took a deep breath.  Spirits! What that woman could do to him. Truth of the matter was he had been flirting with her, shamelessly for days now.

He needed to talk with Annika. In the last three weeks he realized just who held his heart and it wasn't Annika Hansen. There was also the matter of Antonio Moretti, Kathryn's new beau. He'd only met the man once, but his instincts were that Antonio was a man who could make Kathryn happy. Not that he would cater to her every whim, far from it. More so that he would make it his top priority to see to her needs first. The man adored her and that adoration was mutual on Kathryn's part. She was not a woman to love lightly, nor in half measures and if she was happy, who was he to mess that up for her. And yet, what if he instinctively knew that he could make her happier? Wasn't what they shared on New Earth worth a fight? Those had been the happiest months of his life; he'd experienced such profound joy and peace.  Kathryn's words from that day in the clearing, before they transported back to the ship came to mind.

"When we get to Earth, if you still want to explore what's between us -"

"Have no doubt, Kathryn. The moment we reach Earth, I'm never you letting you go again."

"You can't promise that, Chakotay. Anything could happen, you could meet someone else -"

"No."

"If you still feel this way, I need you to be persistent with me. You know how stubborn I can be and I don't know who I'll be at the end of this journey."

"You'll still be you, Kathryn.  I think we could make this work aboard the ship, but I respect your decision. Don't be surprised if I bring the topic up for re-evaluation every now and then, 70 years is long time."

"I know myself, Chakotay. I can't be the captain Voyager needs and still be your lover. One of you would suffer, and I can't bear the thought of that."

"Know this: the moment we reach Earth, Kathryn, I plan on making you mine. We won't be separated again."

An indelicate snort sounded from Kathryn's side of the room. Chakotay looked up to see Kathryn, trying albeit unsuccessfully to keep from laughing.

"What's so funny?"

"Your expression." She chuckled as she walked toward him.

"Gee thanks."

"It's the same face you made when you lost that bet to Tom."

He pointed a finger in her direction. "Which was completely your fault, by the way."

"My fault?!" She shifted her weight to one leg and placed a hand on her hip. "Oh, I would love to hear how your losing a game of pool to Tom Paris was my fault."

"I wouldn't have missed that last shot if you hadn't distracted me."

"Chakotay, I wasn't even there."

"Exactly, you were on the planet talking to the Regent, who by the way was not discrete in his opinion of women in positions of power."

"Tuvok and Ayala were with me. Along with the three additional security personnel you insisted I take." Kathryn rolled her eyes. "I still don't see how it's my fault you lost."

Chakotay motioned to the intricate necklace atop of the vanity. When Kathryn nodded, he picked the necklace up and helped to fasten it around her neck.

"One, I was worried about you and not concentrating on the game. Two, you weren't there to intimidate Tom with your presence."

Kathryn fingered the necklace before turning back to face him. "Well, I'm not the one who agreed to shave his legs and wear a Kilt during Neelix' weeklong Gaelic celebration." She laughed at the scowl on his face.

"Oh, laugh it up Kathryn."

"Thanks, I am."

Chakotay narrowed his eyes. "I was heckled for months after that."

"Really?" She asked with a hint of insincerity. "I had no idea."

"Kathryn..." Chakotay narrowed his eyes. "You had something to do with it."

"I don't know what you're talking about." Kathryn backed out of her bedroom toward the shared living area of their adjoined suites.

"Uh huh, that grin on your face says otherwise." Chakotay followed her movements into the next room. 

Kathryn continued to dodge his approach by keeping pieces of furniture between them for several minutes, laughing as his attempts to capture her failed.

"You were behind the recurring holovid that kept popping up. I thought it was Paris." Chakotay lunged in her direction and laughed triumphantly as he caught her around the waist. "Gotcha!"

"Chakotay, no!" 

"You little imp." 

The sound of the door chime echoed loudly around the room.

"Saved by the bell." Chakotay said, as he released her. "Come in!"

The door slid open to reveal Annika Hansen and Antonio Moretti.

"Antonio?" Kathryn smiled and held out her hands as she crossed the room. "What are you doing here?"

"I wouldn't be much of a gentleman if I allowed you to attend this gala without an escort, now would I?" Antonio asked in a thick Italian brogue.  He gripped her hands momentarily, before slipping an arm around her waist and pressing his lips against hers.

They made a striking couple. His height, olive complexion, and dark eyes complemented her petite figure, pale features, and the rich auburn of her hair. The longer Antonio kissed Kathryn the more Chakotay's vision tinted toward a deeper red.  Unknowingly his hands clenched and curled inward until his nails dug into the flesh of his palm.

"Are you ill, Chakotay?" Annika asked.

Chakotay blinked once, twice...three times, before slowly turning toward her "No. Why?"

"Your respiration and blood pressure have steadily increased since our arrival."

"I'm fine."  Chakotay forced a smile and leaned forward to kiss her cheek. "How was your trip? No problems, I hope."

"It was satisfactory. There is a matter I would like to discuss with you in private."

"All right, if you two will excuse us?" Chakotay nodded to Kathryn and Antonio, before turning to guide Annika into his suite. "Did you get the flowers I sent?"

"I have not received a delivery." Annika turned to face him.

"Perhaps they'll arrive later."

"Chakotay, I believe it would be in both our interests to terminate our social affiliation."

"Come again?"

"It has been obvious to me for some time that you are unhappy. I too have found our association... lacking."

"You're breaking up with me."

"Yes."

Chakotay nodded to himself and pulled on his earlobe. "I'd appreciate it if you'd drop a line now and then to let me know how you're doing."

"Of course, we are friends are we not?"

"Yes, we are."