Story Notes:
  
Author's Chapter Notes:

   Janeway, Chakotay and a few other folks belong to Paramount.  The rest are all mine.  I just like to see them interact.

     For those keeping score, the events of this story take place after "The Hunt for the DaVinci" and before "Numbers." 

 

Royal Aceri shuttle, Alpha quadrant

Chakotay:

    I restlessly page through the entertainment options on my console.  We’re near Earth now, and a group of vaguely familiar publications has appeared on the screen.

       I look at the covers until a very familiar face appears.

       Kathryn ...

       It’s a nice portrait.  She’s wearing the admiral’s mask these days ...  calm, confident. But there’s a twinkle in her blue eyes, something I rarely saw on Voyager.

        I’m puzzled as to why she’s on a magazine cover ... until I begin to read.

        Seven years. Voyager has been back seven years, the length of time we were out in the Delta quadrant.  Someone decided that her life since our return was worth a story.

         I glance at the images: Kathryn at a news conference after our return; Kathryn and B’Elanna at the technology lab; and of course, Kathryn with Jack Herrick.

        The writer talked to Tuvok, the Doctor ... even Icheb. Everyone but me, it seems. Then again, I’ve been away.

        I feel Halli’s presence behind me. She kisses the top of my head as she glances at the screen.

        “That’s a lovely image of Kathryn and her Jack, don’t you think?”

         “Yes ... yes it is,” I admit.

 

*****

San Francisco

Kathryn:

       My vid chirps just as Will smacks the ball and scurries to first base.  When I finally answer, I see Chakotay, looking relieved.

      “Hi there, I was wondering if you had arrived.”

        “We got in a couple hours ago. I called your office, but they said you were out for two weeks.”

       I grin.  “Yep, a week for Expo, and the other on leave.”

        It’s officially playtime for most of the Federation’s defense forces.  The annual Technology Expo opens tomorrow, and tech companies from across the quadrant will be wooing the military representatives of 150-plus planets.  I, however, have a bit of business to attend to before Jack and I can enjoy the festivities.

 

           “How’s Halli?” I ask, but I can’t hear the reply: The next batter has smacked the ball.

           “Where are you?” he asks when the cheering dies down.

           “At a battle between the Vortex and the Nebula,” I tease. “Beginner baseball, though I worry  about 5-year-olds with bats.”

           Chakotay has that pained look he gets when I talk about family, but I refuse to feel guilty about it.

            “I need to ask a favor: Could you introduce me to Minister Tabor?”

           The Federation’s new defense minister?  “Someone will have to introduce me; we haven’t met.”

            Chakotay lifts an eyebrow. “I assume he’ll be at the presentation tomorrow.”

            This makes me uneasy. The presentation isn’t classified, but it is invitation-only.

             “Why do you ask?”

             He looks surprised, then smiles. “Relax, Admiral. I have clearance. I’m officially working on a deal with ADS.”

              ADS?  That’s one of the small defense contractors that popped up during the war. What kind of deal would they have with Dorvan?

              Mom pokes me.  “Tadi’s up” she stage-whispers.

            “What?” Chakotay asks.

             “Pujli’s grandson is batting,” I quickly explain. “I have to go. We’ll see you and Halli tomorrow night?”

              He nods, which is good, because Mom is cheering, and I can’t hear a thing.

 ***

           Funny how things turn out; after our episode on Bilearth, Chakotay came to me with a plan to help Dorvan’s youth.  Simple, really --  bring business  to Dorvan. The resulting jobs could  help rebuild the planet and keep her young people out of the clutches of bastards like Sirak.  

            Economic development isn’t my specialty.  But I did have diplomatic contacts, starting with the consul sitting in my back yard.

           Pudge delivered: a Briori businessman who wanted an Alpha Quadrant warehouse site. The project pumped enough money and jobs into Dorvan to impress the elders, so Chakotay got an official position as a trade envoy.

         As a side benefit, I also introduced him to his current lady. It wasn’t intentional; I gave him a letter of introduction to my friend, Queen Mother Halli of Aceri, so he could talk to Aceri’s business owners. Things apparently took off from there. I’m not surprised:  Halli’s been widowed for several years, and she certainly isn’t blind.